So the jailbraik that everyone had been waiting for is here… Absinthe 2.0!!
About Absinthe 2.0:
Absinthe 2.0 was released by Chronic Dev just a few months back. Most of the iOS devices running the latest iOS 5.1.1 update, including the third-generation iPad, can be jail-broken using this jailbreak tool.
So what else is nice about this jailbreaker? Well to start with, this jailbreak is untethered. By untethered jailbreak we mean that even after reboot the jailbreak will endure. On the other hand a tethered jailbreak is the case where your idevice needs to be connected to a computer and jailbroken again if it is rebooted.
Absinthe 2.0 supports all three Operating systems, Windows Mac and Linux. Now regarding which devices it can jailbreak. That would be all iPhone series, from the iPhone 3GS onward, as well as third- and fourth-generation iPod touch devices. It can also jailbreak all iPads except the latest 16GB iPad 2 for which the next release is up.
To use this jailbreak remember to first ensure that your device is running iOS 5.1.1.
The jailbreak process is simple. Listed below are the instructions:
- Connect your iDevice to your computer using a cable and start iTunes
- Make a backup of it by right clicking on your device name under the Devices menu and clicking Back Up.
- After that wipe your device by going Settings >General > Reset >Erase all Content and Settings.
- Then launch Absinthe 2.0.
- Click on Jailbreak
- Wait for the jail break process to complete
- Finally go back to iTunes to restore your backup. Right click on your device name under the Devices menu in the left panel of iTunes and click Restore from Back Up
Some of you might be wondering if your device is currently a tethered jailbreak what to do then? One can simply turn this into an untethered jailbreak by installing the Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether package, which can be downloaded from Cydia.